- 2.0 L capacity
- 5.5 oz / 165 g
- 7” width
- 18.5” length
- All-natural antimicrobial treatment to keep it taste-free
- Right angle shut off valve ensures no leaks and quick disconnect
- Made in the USA
- BPA free high quality Polyurethane / Polyethylene reservoir film
- Zip composed of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate / Linear Low Density Polyethylene
- Hose port made of Acetal / Polyethylene
- Silicone bite valve
- Polyurethane drink tube
- Cascade Designs is the company that produces the Platypus
The Platypus Big Zip SL Hydration System ranks among the best hydration systems currently available for its high quality and simple to use bladder design. Available in 1.8,2, and 3 liter capacities, this system is suitable for a wide range of scenarios ranging from casual day hikes to short and mid range excursions into the wilderness. The systems unique zip top is high quality and during testing, No More Dependence experienced no leaking. We also tested it with the bladder zipped but the SlideLock™ disengaged and did experience drips which affirms the manufactures recommendation to only use the pack with the zip and SlideLock™ engaged.
No More Dependence has subjected the 2.0 liter system over 30 times under real and simulated environments, exposing it to excessive heat, cold, and stress without achieving product failure. The hydration bladder is extremely durable and unless subjected to sharp objects, is unlikely to rupture under normal stress associated with wilderness excursions or camping. Even after extended usage, the water still tastes pure and free from any noticeable taste.
The bladder can be half filled with water and then frozen on its side to ensure ice cold water on long hikes or hot climate.
How to use:
The bladder should be cleaned before first usage and will also subject the user to becoming familiar with regular cleaning to ensure an indefinite product life. For detailed instructions on how to clean the Platypus Big Zip SL Hydration System, please scroll down to “How to clean”.
- After cleaning the system, zip off the SlideLock™ and open the bladder. Fill the bladder with water taking care to leave a slight amount of room at the top to ensure the bladder is properly zipped and locked.
- After the bladder is filled, zip up the bladder and then slide the SlideLock™ back on top of the zip.
- Connect the drinking hose to the shut off valve located at the bottom of the bladder. Ensure there is an audible “click” to prevent any leaking water getting wasted.
- Turn the bladder upside down and check for any leaks. If no leaks are detected, the hydration system is ready for use
How to clean:
This is a summary of the manufacturers recommendation for cleaning the hydration system –
The Platypus Big Zip SL Hydration System should be regularly cleaned with soap and hot water after each use and periodically cleaned using a mixture of 1/4 cup of baking soda to 3/4 cup of water per liter volume of your bottle or reservoir and shake for 30 seconds.
Add 1/4 cup lemon juice, shake 10 seconds, and vent by loosening cap away from face.
Repeat shaking and venting three times. Expel as much air as possible, cap bottle, and allow the bladder to soak for 20 minutes.
Rinse three times with hot water.
A side note: When adding lemon juice to baking soda, effervescence occurs and will cause pressure to build in a capped Platypus product.